Thursday, January 28, 2010

I see you.....

... a well known phrase for all the Avatar fans out there.  Yes, we were able to check Avatar off the to-do list last week. Viewing it in all its IMAX 3D glory.  Did I like it?  I am not a movie critic nor do I profess to be one.  That being said, I will say that I went purely for the experience of being immersed in the film and was not disappointed.  As for plot -- this is not a new story.  I had a hard time warming up to the characters - there were no R2D2 or C3PO.  And from a geek point of view, not enough techie stuff.  Not to mention, there was far too much testosterone for my taste - could have done without a lot of the bang, bang, blow 'em up.  All of this does not, however, take away from what visually, was a wonder to behold.  From the minute the 3D glasses went on, I was there.  For close to 3 hours I sat mesmerized by visuals and specials effects that were truly incredible.

With home entertainment what it is today, there is no real reason to venture out to see a well made movie with an intriguing plot.  No, there has to be something more to draw me into a theater and lay down the big bucks.  But hold onto your wallets, 3D is coming to a TV near you any day now.  So that means that the film makers have to put their thinking caps back on.  I think the next theater gimmick will have to be something along the lines of Sensation Cinema.  Not unlike, Disney attractions, but more sophisticated.   When it is raining in the movie, you will feel this sensation.  Could be interesting.

For now, I can't wait to see Johnny Depp play the Mad Hatter in the 3D version of Alice in Wonderland.  I will remortgage the house for that one!

Next time... Hurry up and wait

No comments:



Island Dream Blogger Template