Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tattoo Anyone?

A friend of mine asked if I was going to get a tattoo while in New Zealand.  My initial reaction to this question was, "Yeah, right."  But then I started thinking seriously about the subject. So I asked Geoff what he thought of the idea.  "Where would you put it," he says with a gleam in his eye.

New Zealanders are well known for their intricate artistry.  The Maori, who are the native people of the country, are especially famous for their tribal tattoo designs on the face and body.  Last week we watched yet another movie filmed in New Zealand titled, Once Were Warriors.  This is not a pretty pictorial of a beautiful country, but a tough movie about a people trying to survive.  The eldest son runs off and joins a gang.  When he returns home, he has the facial tattoos of a warrior.  The second son stares at the design, his brother asks "Want one for yourself?".  "No thanks, I wear mine on the inside" was the answer.

And so, I have my answer as well.

Till next time......

2 comments:

Tundragirl said...

Love the information about the Maori. They are so interesting. How do you pronounce Maori? If you get a tatoo, I think it should be very subtle, or you can "wear one on the inside."
Five more weeks on my countdown. I'm so jealous of you guys.

SunFish said...

Maori is pronounced Mao - (as in Mao Tse Tung) + re (long e).



Island Dream Blogger Template